At first glance, the premises of the Faculty of Arts of the Masaryk University in Arne Novák street in Brno got brand new look. After nearly two years, the last phase of the reconstruction of C and D buildings, which cost 300 million CZK, ended. Starting this autumn semester, students and staff no longer have to work in the interim buildings and they can start to fully use the new complex.
The premises are accessible through a new porter´s lodge, auditoriums also underwent a change and were equipped with the state-of-the-art technique, and a large reading room was created on the ground floor. The reading room is visible when you arrive at the building, it is a glass building and there is an outside space for relaxation. The site should also become the cultural center of the faculty. It is anticipated that reading or smaller theater performances will be organized inside. The entire space can be reduced or enlarged if necessary by a sliding wall.
One of the fundamental changes that users of buildings will notice is the cancellation of the D22 classroom. A large room with two sides of sloping chairs was the space for the biggest lectures at the faculty. It was replaced by smaller and nowadays more practical classrooms.
Thanks to the gentle handling of builders, the painting referring to the Armenian genocide, located just next to the former D22 classroom, was preserved. In the adjacent building C, everyone will walk again on the original staircase from 1921. The reconstruction eventually touched only one of its parts which need to be reconstructed due to the recommendation of a structural engineer.